Wednesday, May 31, 2006

New Justice Society

I'm of two minds on the new Justice Society of America series that will be relaunching in October. One one hand Geoff Johns and Dale Eaglesham are two of my favorites at DC comics, and JSA had been, pound for pound, the best team book in comics for quite a while now. On the other hand, does it really need a relaunch? Flash makes sense as a relaunch since it clearly isn't going to be Wally West in the suit (at least for now). Justice League makes sense as a relaunch, partly as an outcome of 'Crisis of Conscience'. partly because the book has been pretty bad for the past few years, with the exceptions of Busiek's Crime Syndicate story and Johns' aforementioned Crisis of Conscience. But Wonder Woman starting over from #1 smacks of cheap gimickry to me, and to be perfectly honest, so does the new JSofA. I don't think any of the series' will be bad, but trend towards #1's just smacks of the speculators boom in the 90's.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I picked up the Degaton (?) arc shortly before Countdown to Infinite Crisis -- the first issue I ever read was actually the Identity Crisis crossover with the autopsy -- and it never really clicked for me. It was solid, but not terribly compelling reading, and I was never clear on how it all fit into the larger DCU.

This relaunch is a great opportunity to reestablish the team for a brand new audience without shoehorning it into the One Year Later stunt that's seen mixed results so far.