Friday, June 02, 2006

Corales - Castillo III. Saturday Night

UPDATE!: Well that sucks. The fight is off. Castillo came in 5 pounds over the lightweight limit of 135lbs and Corales refused to go through with the fight this time. Castillo should just man up, fight at junior welterweight and fight the winner of Cotto-Malinaggi.

The first Diego Corales-Jose Luis Castillo matchup was fight of the year. The second bout featured Castillo's doctor trying to literally tip the scales at the weigh-in, and then watch as his fighter wins with an impressive knockout. What will the third bout bring? My prediction, assuming Castillo makes weight this time - a fight of the year contender that features at least 3 knockdowns. Corales TKO 11

I know what you're thinking. What is a nerd site doing talking about boxing? Well I'll have you know that in addition to my many other nerdly disciplines, I am also a Boxing nerd. The Sweet Science doesn't get much publicity these days. In fact the only time the average sports fan hears about boxing is when they are reminded just how embarassing it can be at times. But the true fans, the die hards, know the sublime joy of a great fight. Does this sound familiar? Replace boxing in the previous two sentences with 'video games', 'comic books', 'science fiction' or 'genre television' and you're probably describing how you feel about the media coverage of your hobby. So I'm asking all nerds within the sound of my (virtual) voice to at least give boxing a chance this weekend. If you have Showtime, flip it on about 10:15 eastern and see what has a good chance to be not only one of the best fights you'll see this year, it may be one of the best sporting events of the year as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»