Thursday, June 08, 2006

Remake News: Battle Royale

Battle Royale is a movie I've never actually seen, but I heard so much about I really want to check it out. Basically it is, like all Japanese films, set in a dystopic future. In this future school kids are dropped on a deserted island where they fight until only one student is left alive. The movie is also ultra ridiculously violent, and here we come to the problem. If it was Quentin Tarantino at the helm I'd be excited. If it was David Fincher I'd be excited. Heck if it was Guy Ritchie I'd be thrilled. But the producers are Neal Moritz (the Fast & the Furious) and Roy Lee (the Ring & the Grudge), neither of whom have a confidence inspiring track record or the clout in the industry to keep the spirit of the original movie intact. My prediction: They change the main characters from middle school kids to college students and the film ends up a PG-13 clusterfuck.

Hat tip - Dark Horizons

No comments: