Monday, July 17, 2006

It Should be on Screen: Daughters of the Dragon

One of the most pleasant surprises I've gotten at my local comic shop this year was the free issue of Marvel's Daughters of the Dragon I recieved. I had seen some of the promotional materials for the book, but it really didn't grab me in any way. The book starred two characters that I wasn't that familiar with and was done by a creative team (Justin Gray, Jimmy Palmiotti & Khari Evans) that wasn't 'must see' material. So I went home and with the lowest of expectations flipped the cover. I spent most of the next hour chuckling. I was hooked. The book is steeped equally in the films of Melvin Van Peebles, Bruce Lee and Eddie Murphy. The titular Daughters of the Dragon, Misty Knight, the foxy lady with the metal arm along with her buddy and partner, the smokin' samurai Coleen Wing, work as bail bondswomen. Not just bondswomen, but apparently they handle bonds for most of the C & D list supervillains in New York. The rest of the mini, the final issue of which ships this week, deals with the Daughters trying to foil an equally hot super villainess, but what really got me hooked was the central concept: hot, ass kicking chicks that deal not only with normal criminal scum, but with low level super goons as well. This is the part that really begs to be made into a television show. It takes the best parts of Buffy & Alias and mixes it with a little mad cap action in the vein of The A-Team or Las Vegas. Is it a bit mysoginistic? Yes and no. Yes the protagonists are hot, fantastically proportioned women in impractically revealing clothing, but they are also smart, capable and self reliant.

Technorati technorati tags: , ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, this mini-series has been a pleasant surprise and I could totally see it as a TV show or a movie. But you forgot the most important part of this kind of post -- you have to cast it!

I'd go with Vivica Fox and Keira Knightley.