Thursday, November 02, 2006

Busiek Leaving Aquaman to Work on 'Mystery Project'

Links from Newsarama

Sayeth Busiek:

I was having a very good time writing the book, as I think anyone who reads it can tell, and was all set for a lengthy run, exploring the world and the characters and the many mysteries and portents and such.
I love writing heroic fantasy, and I think the exotic world of the oceanscape suits it perfectly.

But then, stupid me, I had an idea for something that I thought would be a good project and had the potential to benefit DC, the fans and the comics marketplace in general. It was a very non-standard idea, and I didn't think DC would go for it. But I thought it was a good idea, and I didn't want to just assume it'd be shot down. I'd rather toss it on the table and get an actual ‘no’.

So when I was in New York, I ran it by Dan Didio, and to my surprise, he liked it a lot -- and thought it was something DC should do.

And by the time I got home, he'd pitched it to Paul Levitz, and Paul also thought it was a good idea, and something DC should do.

And they've been wrangling over formats and schedules and such since then, but it's a pretty large project -- more than the usual 22 pages a month that most series are, and it was pretty clear that t wasn't something that could be just added to my schedule, I'd need to give up something to make room for it. And I've been having a great time with both Superman and Aquaman, and it'd be hard to leave either one, but with Carlos kicking ass on Superman and Butch Guice leaving Aquaman, I had a tighter grip on the Kryptonian than the Atlantean, and Dan decided I should let Aquaman go to make room for the Mystery Project.
He's being replaced by fantasy writer Tad Williams (Memory, Sorrow and Thorn, Otherworld, DC's The Next)

I wonder what the mystery project is? It sounds too out of the blue to be 'Look to the Skies' (which scuttlebutt says Jim Starlin will be writing)

No comments: