Thursday, November 09, 2006

Random Musings - Cliffhanger Edition

Before the television season started I thought Heroes had maybe a 60% chance to be good and a 40% chance to be successful. Happily it's not only great it's (alongside Ugly Betty) the big new show of the season. Which pretty much guarantees that we'll see at least 3 new superhero shows on the '07 fall schedules. I think they need to stop, or at least slow down, the constant parade of new characters and develop the existing ones a little more, but otherwise it's been tremendous.

I was a little disappointed in the first six episodes of Lost. I know that Kate, Jack and Sawyer are the focal characters of the show, but as of now we've seen too much of them and too little of the rest of the castaways. We've gained a little insight into the Others, and possibly the other Others, but not enough to justify almost abandoning three quarters of the cast for four of the six episodes. I am glad that the hatch is finally gone, but the show otherwise feels like it's treading water.

I've only had a few hours to knock around with it, but Gears of War is every bit as great as the hype made it out to be. Is it the most original game ever? No, but neither was Halo, or Half-Life or Rainbow Six. GoW is in that class of shooters.

I don't see how Microsoft can sell TV shows and movies on the 360 without having a larger hard drive available. Those 20GBs will fill up real fast with HD content.

After six months every issue of 52 has shipped on time and sold 100,000+ copies. Did anyone, could anyone, predict such success?

1 comment:

Serene Careaga said...

I think you have finally nailed why I have been so disappointed with Lost. I haven't been able to pinpoint what it was, other than lack of focus and direction. There are so many other questions that can be explored like what happened to Sun and Jin, what is Harley up to, etc.

I am so close to jumping ship. I just keep hoping they figure out where they are going with the story.