Thursday, October 12, 2006

Infinite Crisis ver. 2.0?

DC released the hardcover version of Infinite Crisis this week. In addition to the retouched artwork and 'deleted scenes' that we were expecting DC also apparently made some substantive changes to the dialouge itself. The details can be seen here and here, but the gist is that DC apparently may be bringing back Earth-2 in some way, shape or form.

This makes me angry.

The return of Earth-2 doesn't bother me. If DC's braintrust thinks they can get good stories out of it, great.

The 'deleted scenes' don't bug me. If they were taken out in the first place then they probably didn't add anything to the whole.

The retouched art doesn't really bother me much. I wish I had it but I'm not going to spend $19.99 to see it.

What does make me angry is changing the story, even incrementally, from the original to the hardcover. I bought all 7 issues of the main book, all 30+ issues of the lead-in minis and lord knows how many tie-in issues, yet I now discover that I don't have the whole story. DC is essentially saying "The $21 you paid for the series? It doesn't entitle you to the whole story. Pony up another Jackson." You want to make things right DC? Post a panel-by-panel comparason on your website. Let the people that bought IC when it came out (i.e. - your loyal customers) see what you want us to see without having to buy the HC.

No comments: