Thursday, August 17, 2006

Remakes That Should Not Be: Last House on the Left


I've seen a lot of horror movies over the years and while several have scared me, very, very few have disturbed me. The Last House on the Left was one of those films. Taken individually sex, gore and violence really don't bother me, but Last House..'s confluence of the three actually made me uncomfortable. It's a movie that I know is good, and is rightly considered a very influential film, but I just don't enjoy watching.

So it comes as no surprise that the creatively destitute Hollywood machine has decided to remake Last House on the Left. Honestly, it was probably inevitable. Both Saw & Saw 2 were fairly big hits and they were obviously influenced by Craven's early work. Rouge pictures could have taken the time and effort to find a the next young horror master and let him or her work their magic, but it's a lot easier to just remake Wes Craven's back catalog. Let me make sure Rogue Pictures, and the rest of the Hollywood studios understand what I'm saying.

STOP REMAKING CLASSIC HORROR MOVIES! THEY ARE ALMOST UNIVERSALLY TERRIBLE!

House of Wax, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Psycho, Amityville Horror, The Omen, When a Stranger Calls. All good or great originals. All excretable remakes, the majority of which were financial failures to boot. Dawn of the Dead was good, but it still wasn't as good as the original. Classic horror movies were mostly indie flicks with a minimum of studio interference. Modern remakes are neutered, butchered and focus-grouped to death. Please let the giants lie. Honor them, revere them, but for the love of God, don't try to make them 'better'.

No comments: