Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Remakes That Should Not Be: Revenge of the Nerds

Ugghhh. My brain just imploded, crawled out of my nose and is proceeding to douse itself in bleach. Why?

Because they're remaking Revenge of the Nerds.

According to The Movie Blog this was announced almost two years ago, but I obviously repressed that memory. This, like almost all remakes, is a bad idea. The original was a fun movie, for it's time, but the world just isn't the same as it was in 1984. Revenge was funny partly because it was set in a world that was about to be taken over by the nerds, whereas in 2006 the nerds already run things. Sure you can replace the Fortran jokes with World of Warcraft, but I doubt they would resonate with the audience. While this may not be the most egregious remake in the pipeline, it may be the most ill-advised.

1 comment:

Fanboy said...

I totally agree with you. When I saw the booth at Comic-Con I was like - WHY? What's next, Zapped?