Thursday, August 24, 2006

Review Time

Astonishing X-Men #16 - About the only bad thing I can say about this book is the fact that it (for now) comes out bi-monthly. Rather than dragging the mysteries out, Whedon & Cassaday actually give us answers to two of the pressing mysteries of the book when we are told who will destroy the Breakworld and who Perfection is under the hood. Of course the answers bring up more questions, but the story never seems like it's on a treadmill. I won't spoil who Perfection is, but I will say that my two guesses, Magik & Phoenix, were of course dead wrong.

Justice League of America #1 - First, I like the new lineup. It's missing a few elements, but overall I think it's strong. Now, on to the story. Normally I would criticize a #1 issue like this for it's lack of action, but the whole Red Tornado storyline was so touching and well done that I didn't mind. One prediction on the villain of the book: Dr. Impossible. (inviso text on I think he's the Mr. Miracle of the new Earth 2. Father box, hush tube. It all fits. off)

Jack of Fables #2 - I'm surprised that Willingham, Sturges & Akins didn't make the enemy in this piece look like Walt Disney. If there was one person more responsible for the neutering and sanitization of our fables & fairy tales than Walt Disney I've never heard of them. The identity of the black janitor is tickling the back of my neck, but I just can't seem to grab it.

New Avengers #23 - The whole Spider-Woman double agent storyline, which has been a part of this book since it's start, is wrapped up in a single somewhat unsatisfying issue. Maybe I'm wrong; Jessica Drew sounds like a shoo-in for this book (the spy-stuff heavy New Avengers vs the widescreen Mighty Avengers) post Civil War, so this may not be the actual denoument, but it sure felt that way. Not a bad book, just disappointing.

Quick Hits
52 #16 - It just wouldn't be a wedding if someone didn't get shot!
Flash #3 - The art really improved in this issue. So did the story, but not as much.
Daredevil #88 - A breather from the breakneck pace of the past few issues that still manages to be better than 95% of the other titles on the shelf.

No comments: